June 20, 2012

Tutorial: Octopus Hexipuff

About a month ago the tiny owl knits community made Miss Owl herself a beekeeper's quilt of her own!  I was struck by the love of the community and found myself crying right along with Stephanie in the video.  In addition to the amazing love in the video, she showed all of the puffs in the quilt.  There were two octopus puffs (one made to resemble a lost member's Ravatar) and I was completely inspired to make an octopus puff for my quilt.  

I didn't see any instructions on Ravelry, so I just winged it.  I thought I'd share my notes here in case anyone else wants to add a little weirdness to their quilts as well.

Here’s how I made him:

Just knit the puff like you normally would, but instead of binding off, knit the first 5 stitches on one needle like an i-cord. Once it is sufficiently long (an inch and a half maybe), k2tog, k1, k2tog, then continue on a 3 stitch i-cord for a three or four more rows, then k3tog and tie off.
Then do the same for the next five stitches on the needle. And then move on to the next needle and do the same! Once you’ve made all four legs, stuff the puff part of the octopus, then whipstitch him closed.
Oh, and then put some eyes on him! :)
I left a bit of yarn hanging from the end of each of the legs like so:

You can use those tails to tie him into the corners of your quilt!


He's taking over!  I may make a few more...  Maybe a squid too!  :)

♥ ashley

3 comments:

  1. Ashley, this is absolutely adorable! I can't wait to make a bunch of these for my quilt! Thank you for sharing what you did <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the octopuffs! I can't wait to see yours!

      Delete
  2. this is gorgeous! found him while looking for shell charts but this is better! will send you a link to a pic when i've done mine.

    do you have a link to the crab you did, too?

    ReplyDelete